'Moong Dal' is rich in protein and various nutrients and minerals . They have been a part of our Indian Cooking since ages. For vegetarians, the main protein source is our 'dals' and consuming them every day helps us to stay healthy . Moong dal boosts immunity and is believed to reduce high blood pressure. The husked and split green gram is so versatile that it can be included whole or in powder/flour form. 'Cheela' are moong dal crepes that are so common in North India. It is a popular Street food and various fillings are made to stuff the Cheelas. The most popular being the paneer/cottage cheese stuffing. These Cheelas are served along with a spicy green chutney. Hot, off the pan stuffed Cheelas with chutney is so comforting.
Delicious and healthy breakfast .
Moong Dal Cheela:
Preparation time : 40 minutes
Cooking time : 3 minutes per Cheela ( approx)
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup moong dal/ husked and split green gram flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 &1/2 cup water ( for soaking )
1/2 teaspoon carom seeds ( hand crushed and add)
pinch of asafoetida
1 tablespoon oil ( I use sesame oil)
salt to tase
1. In a vessel add the moong dal flour, rice flour, salt, ajwain and mix well.
2. Add the water and mix well to form a lump free thick batter.
3. Let the batter rest for 30 - 40 minutes.
4. After the resting time, you will see small bubbles on the batter , add more water( adjust quantity ) to make the batter looser , into pouring consistency.
5. Heat a greased tava and make the Cheela, just like Dosai ( check out this recipe for tips, tricks and step wise pictures)
6. When both the sides are cooked, spread the chutney ( I used my Murungai Keerai Chutney/Moringa Chutney) on the Cheela, place the filling, fold and serve.
You can even roll the Cheela and pack it for office/school lunch box. A wholesome meal .
I had shared the video recipe of both the Cheela and the stuffing in my snapchat and instagram. Do follow me there so that you do not miss out on these interesting recipes.
Happy Cooking !