'Gooseberry' is the healthiest fruit with so many healing and rejuvenating properties. Including Amla/Nellikai/Usiri kaya in our diet is most essential. I have earlier shared interesting and healthy recipes using Nellikai like the Nellikai Rasam , Nellikai Chutney, Nellikai Thokku , Nellikai Podi and today I am sharing the tasty Nellikai Thayir Pachadi that is a yummy side dish to variety rice like the Vegetable Biryani.
It is so simple and easy to make too.
Nellikai Thayir Pachadi:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 large gooseberries ( grated)
1 onion ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
3-4 green chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 cup curd ( whisked and diluted with 1/2 cup of water)
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( optional)
For garnish :
small bunch of cilantro leaves/coriander leaves or mint leaves ( finely chopped)
1. Heat a kadai or pan with oil and temper with ingredients given under ' for tempering '.
2. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the green chillies and the grated gooseberry.
3. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder , salt and keep saute'ing the mixture over low flame for 1-2 minutes.
4. Now add the onions and continue to sautee' till the onions turn transparent.
5. Add the tomatoes , gently mix without mashing them and cook for 2-3 minutes only and switch off.
Chef tip : The tomatoes should be cooked but not mushy.
6. Garnish with cilantro .
7. Add the whisked curd (with water mixed) to the gooseberry mixture .
8. Adjust water quantity if required.
Your delicious and healthy raita/thayir pachadi is ready .
Happy Cooking !