Healthy and tasty Dips and Chutneys make our snack time more interesting. Today I am sharing a quick and easy recipe that can be served as a chutney to any tiffin or as a dip to salads or snacks. If you are serving this as a dip, you can skip the tempering part.
Spinach is filled with so much of nutrients that it is important for us to include these leafy vegetables in our daily diet.
Recipe adapted from ' Sukham Ayu' by Jigyasa Giri and Pratibha Jain
Palak Chutney| Spinach Dip :
Preparation time : 2 minutes
Cooking time : 5-7 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 cups spinach /palak( cleaned, washed and chopped)
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter ( if vegan, you can use oil)
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 green chilli ( adjust)
salt to taste
For tempering ( optional):
1 teaspoon oil
1 dry red chilli ( halved)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1. Heat a pan with ghee and temper with peppercorns, cumin seeds and green chilli.
2. Add the chopped spinach , salt and mix well.
3. Continue to cook over low flame till the spinach reduces in size and is almost cooked.
Chef tip : Add 1/4 cup of water while cooking. If the spinach is fresh, this step will take just about 5 minutes.
4. Switch off and allow it to cool.
5. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
Your healthy Spinach dip is ready.
Happy Cooking !