Can left overs be made into yummy dishes? Yes, of course . I am not sure whether you have heard about this amazingly tasty Sindhi dish - Seyal dabal. This recipe calls for the use of 3-4 day old Pav breads/buns but you can use fresh ones too. I love Sindhi Cuisine and always order for Seyal Dabal whenever we visit our favourite Sindhi Resto.
But when I came to know how simple it is to make from my instagram friend Bhavna, I just could not resist myself to try it at home. In fact, made it even today morning for breakfast as I had a full packet of pav bread left and this was the quickest way to use them up.
When you have a packet of pav buns/ regular buns/ hot dogs that have been ignored for some time, you know what to make.
A simple and yummy breakfast recipe .
Recipe adapted from here
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10- 12 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml
6-8 Pav buns/ bun/bread ( tear them into bite size pieces)
1 large onion ( sliced thinly )
4 tomatoes ( pureed' in a mixer)
2 green chillies ( finely chopped)
2 -3 garlic cloves ( finely chopped)
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder ( I used Kashmiri chilli powder, adjust quantity)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
large pinch curry leaf powder ( optional)
1/4 teaspoon Garam masala or All Spice Powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
For garnish :
Finely chopped coriander leaves/mint leaves
1. Heat a pan with oil over low flame and when the oil is hot , temper with mustard seeds.
2. Once the mustard seeds splutter add the ginger, garlic, green chillies , onions and salt.
Chef tip : The buns already have salt, adjust salt quantity accordingly.
3. As they are cooking over low flame , add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and mix well.
4. Now add the tomato puree' , salt and allow them to cook for 4-5 minutes over low/medium flame.
Chef tip : You can close and cook the tomatoes till the raw smell disappears and the oil starts to separate.
5. Add water ( approximately 2 cups ) and allow it to come to a boil.
6. Once they start boiling, add the bite sized bread pieces.
7. Mix well so that the bread soaks up the gravy uniformly.
8. Switch off, garnish and serve along with steaming hot Masala Chai or Coffee.
For more breakfast ideas, click here.
Happy Cooking !