I do not mind repeating myself in saying that ' Sundakkai' ( Turkey Berry) is a super food. It has so many medicinal properties including 'healing stomach ulcers' . Rich in iron, calcium and other nutrients it is very important to use the Turkey berries in our diet on a regular basis.
I have earlier shared 'Sundakkai Vathal Kuzhambu' recipe that was so much loved by you all. Today I am sharing another amazing recipe using 'Sundakkai'- the 'Sundakkai Podi/ Turkey Berry Powder. As I get only the dried berries here, I have used them to make this podi. Also, you can make a big batch of this podi and store it in an airtight container. Use them in your salads, raitas or have with with steaming hot rice and melted ghee. So soothing for the tummy.
Preparation time : 2 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Makes : 50 gm of Sundakkai Podi
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Storage : Keeps good for upto a month when stored in a clean, dry and odour free container .
Note : The dried turkey berries already have salt in them , so adjust salt quantity accordingly.
2 tablespoons dried Sundakkai/ Sundakkai Vathal/ Turkey Berry
1 teaspoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1 teaspoon peppercorns/milagu/kali mirch
1-2 dry red chillies ( adjust according to taste)
marble size tamarind
1/2 teaspoon jaggery ( grated/powdered) ( adjust according to taste)
1 teaspoon cow ghee/clarified butter
salt to taste
1. Heat a small pan/kadai over low flame with ghee .
2. Add the dry sundakkai/sundakkai vathal and fry them over low flame , stirring continuously till they turn dark brown .
3. Transfer them to a plate to cool.
4. Heat the pan again over low flame and roast the other ingredients ( except jaggery and tamarind ) separately till they turn fragrant and transfer them to the same plate.
Note : The ghee on the pan is adequate to fry them .
5. Transfer them to a mixer jar, add jaggery and tamarind and grind them to a coarse powder.
6. Taste and adjust the salt quantity.
7. Once cooled completely, transfer the podi to an air tight container .
Your delicious and healthy detox Sundakkai Podi is ready !!
Happy Cooking !