Banana Flower/Banana Blossom/Banana Heart/Vazhaipoo/Mochar/Arati Puvvu , how ever you call it , is full of nutrients. I have earlier shared the health benefits of consuming these flowers. They are high source of vitamins and minerals and also helps to prevent infections. They are beneficial for nursing mothers as it is believed to increase breast milk. The magnesium in the banana blossom/banana heart makes it a 'happy' flower as it is believed to reduce anxiety and alleviate your mood.
I have earlier shared Vazhaipoo Vadai , Vazhaipoo Paruppusili and Mochar Ghonto ( Bengali Style Vazhaipoo Poriyal) recipe with you all.
Today, I am sharing another interesting dish using Vazhaipoo- the Vazhaipoo Chutney( side dish for idli/dosa) or you can even call it thogayal as it is great to mix it with rice also.
Note : Clean and chop the banana flower the earlier day and soak them in water mixed with 1/2 cup of butter milk and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and keep it refrigerated till use.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup =250 ml cup
Special Equipment: Mixer/Mixie/food processor, Kadai/pan
Storage: Keeps good for 2-3 days when refrigerated and stored in a clean, dry and odour free vessel.
2 cups Vazhaipoo/Arati Puvvu/Mochar/Banana heart ( cleaned and finely chopped)
3-4 garlic pods ( chopped)
5-6 shallots/sambar onions ( OR 1 onion sliced)
4-5 dry red chillies
1 tablespoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
marble size tamarind
1 teaspoon jaggery ( powdered)
2 teaspoons oil ( I used sesame oil)
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1. In a kadai/wide pan /wok, heat a teaspoon oil and stir fry the Vazhaipoo along with salt till they cook and reduce in size.
Note : Add 1/4 cup water if required . This step will take 6-7 minutes over medium flame.
2. Switch off and transfer it to a mixer/food processor jar.
3. Place the pan /kadai back on low flame, heat oil and fry the onion, garlic , dry red chillies and till they turn fragrant and transfer them to the jar.
Note : Onions will turn transparent. You can fry them separately also.
4. Next, fry the urad dal with the remaining oil and transfer that to the mixer jar.
5. Add tamarind, jaggery and grind it to a smooth paste adding water little by little.
Note : If you are making it for rice, then grind coarsely and add less of water.
6. Transfer it to the serving bowl.
7. Heat oil in an iron ladle or a small pan over low flame with oil for tempering .
8. Once oil is hot, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves and pour it over the chutney and mix well.
1. Adjust water quantity according to the way you are going to serve it, that is for tiffin or lunch.
2. You can add 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, flax seeds if you like . Roast them in the end and add it to the mixer .
3. You can add 2 seedless, juicy dates instead of jaggery .
4. You can omit garlic and onions , but they add a lot of flavour.
Happy Cooking !