Dal/ lentils is full of proteins . This Punjabi dal is made using the Urad dal / husked and split black gram. Urad dal is rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, folic acid and specially beneficial for women. Punjabi Cuisine is popular for it's spiciness and this dish is no different. Lots of green chillies is used in this Dal .
This dal is a traditional dish where the urad dal is cooked along with onions, tomatoes and masalas into a dry subji. Cilantro leaves are used generously to flavour this dish. A flavourful and protein packed side dish.
Amritsari Sookhi Dal :
Preparation time : 30 minutes.
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1/2 cup urad dal/husked and split black gram
2 onions ( thinly sliced lengthwise)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
2-3 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
1/2 cup coriander leaves/cilantro ( finely chopped)
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
For tempering :
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon carom seeds/ajwain
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
large pinch of asafoetida
For garnish :
1/4 cup cilantro ( finely chopped)
1. Wash the urad dal thrice and soak them in water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a kadai/wok with oil and temper with ingredients given under ' For tempering'.
3. Now add the green chillies, garlic and the onions.
4. Add salt and cook the onions till they turn transparent.
5. Now, add the tomatoes, spice powders and cook them over low flame till the tomatoes become mushy.
6. Add the soaked urad dal along with the water used for soaking.
7. Cover and cook the dal it is is cooked well and the excess water is drained.
8. Switch off and garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
Your nutritious Amritsari Sookhi dal is ready to be served along with rotis or rice.
Chef Tip :
1. While the dal is cooking, stir every 2 minutes and adjust the water quantity if required.
Happy Cooking !