I have been cooking various Bengali dishes at home and from the appreciation and feedback that I have received from my family , I was motivated to try more . Earlier I had shared Mochar Ghonto recipe with you all. Hope you tried it. Here is another stir fry recipe that is easy to make yet so delicious.
Bandhakopir Ghonto is a simple yet flavourful stir fry dish from the Bengali Cuisine. Cabbage is a power house of so many nutrients. It is rich in Vitamin E that gives a glowing skin and healthy hair when consumed regularly. It is also high in Vitamin K that helps in improved brain function and protects one from nerve damage. It is anti - inflammatory and helps build a strong immune system to fight illness.
So, it is most ideal to include this humble vegetable in our daily diet. You can make this stir fry within minutes and it is a great accompaniment to rice or rotis.
Bandhakopir Ghonto :
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml
1 medium size cabbage ( shredded)
1 large potato ( cubed)
1/4 cup peas ( shelled)
1 large tomato ( finely chopped)
1 green chillies ( cut lengthwise)
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
2 teaspoons mustard oil ( to fry potato )
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons mustard oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1 red chilli ( halved)
1. Heat a kadai/wok with mustard oil and when it starts to smoke add the potatoes , salt ( to taste) and pinch of turmeric.
2. Fry over medium flame till the potatoes are roasted well and transfer them to another container and set it aside.
3. In the same wok add the shredded cabbage, remaining turmeric, salt( to taste) and 1/4 cup of water.
4. Cover and cook the cabbage over low flame for 5 minutes.
5. Open the lid and cook the cabbage over medium flame, till the excess water is absorbed .
6. Transfer the cabbage into the container with potatoes and put the kadai back on low flame.
7. Add the mustard oil for tempering in the kadai and temper with ingredients given under 'to temper'.
8. Once tempered add the green chillies, ginger and the tomatoes.
9. Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and cook the tomatoes, by stirring continuously till they become mushy .
10. Now add the cooked cabbage and potatoes and mix well over low/medium heat for 2 minutes and switch off.
Your delicious Bandhakopir Ghonto is ready !
Chef Tips :
1. Make sure that the cabbage is cooked but not too soft.
2. You can add a teaspoon of ghee/clarified butter when cooking the tomatoes.
3. Carefully add little salt in each stage .
Happy Cooking !