Grapes, Strawberries and oranges are in season now and you all know my love for rasam. I just enjoy cooking various types of rasam. Recently, I tried making grape rasam with strawberries and orange juice and it tasted so good.
'Rasam' means ' essence or juice and it is just amazing to use fruits to make rasam .
Well, here is my interesting recipe of the fruit rasam.
Mixed Fruit Rasam :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special vessel/equipment : A heavy bottom vessel , iron ladle for tempering ( preferred)
15 Grapes ( halved) ( I used dark/purple grapes)
6 strawberries ( roughly chopped)
1-2 oranges ( extract the juice)
1 tomato ( finely chopped)
2 green chillies ( halved)
1/2 " ginger ( grated or extract juice)
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
1 teaspoon rasam powder
10 peppercorns ( coarsely crushed)
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds. ( coarsely crushed)
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 teaspoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
For garnish :
handful of coriander leaves/cilantro ( roughly torn)
1. In a heavy bottom vessel, pour the orange juice .
2. Add the chopped strawberries and grapes.
3. Gently crush them with your hands ( optional step).
4. Add tomatoes, curry leaves , ginger juice , green chillies and 1 cup of water.
5. Place the vessel over low heat and add the rasam powder and salt.
6. Cover the vessel using a lid .
Note : Do not cover the vessel fully as the rasam will over flow. Instead leave a small gap while closing.
7. Allow the rasam to simmer for 7-8 minutes.
8. Open the lid, add 1 cup water ( adjust water quantity) and add the coarsely crushed pepper and jeera.
9. Let the rasam boil for another 3-4 minutes or till the time you see it frothing on the sides of the vessel.
10. Switch off and immediately garnish with cilantro leaves.
11. Heat ghee and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.
12. Pour it into the rasam.
Your tasty Mixed Fruit Rasam is ready. Drink it like an appetiser or serve it along with rice.
Chef tip: You can also process the grapes and strawberries into a puree and use it.
Have you tried my other rasam recipes ?
Happy Cooking !