India is a Country with innumerable cuisines, each unique in it's own way. Today, we are exploring the coastal cuisine of Western India. Though sea food is extremely popular in coastal areas, the vegetarian side dishes are equally popular.
Karwar, is a small town near Goa, and boasts of it's unique and distinct cuisine. As it is a coastal town, lots of coconuts and tropical fruits are used as main ingredients in this Karwari Cuisine. 'Muga' refers to the green gram which is mostly sprouted and used to make curries .
Even during special occasions like marriages, the green gram curry is served as a side dish to be enjoyed along with rice.
The sprouted green gram is full of nutrients and is rich in fibre. Try this Karwari Style curry using sprouts and enjoy the deliciousness of Karwari Cuisine.
Karwar Style Muga Ambat:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup sprouted green gram ( skin removed)
1 -2 onions ( thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon thick tamarind pulp
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
To be roasted and ground into a smooth paste ( using water) :
1/2 cup coconut ( grated)
2 red chillies
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
For tempering :
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 fresh green or red chilli ( roughly chopped)
pinch of asafoetida
3-4 curry leaves ( torn roughly)
1. Heat a kadai/wok with oil and temper with mustard and curry leaves.
2. Add the onions , sugar and a pinch of salt and keep stirring over low heat till the onions turn brown.
4. Open the lid and add 1 cup of water to the mixture.
5. Adjust salt and stir in the thick coconut paste.
6. Mix well and allow them to cook for another 3-4 minutes and switch off.
Your delicious Karwar Style Muga Ambat is ready to be served.
Chef Tips :
1. Adjust the spice quantity according to taste.
2. While tempering , you can add one green chilli if you like extra spice.
3. Traditionally, the green skin of the sprouted green gram is removed before adding them to the curry by soaking them in water for 15-20 minutes .
4. You can also add sprouted horse gram in this dish.
Happy Cooking !