'Soups' are comforting and loved by all. Today, I am sharing a very healthy soup recipe. It is quick and easy to make too. I haven't used any thickening flours, instead added 1/4 cup of moong dal . You all know the health benefits of Murungai Keerai and this soup is an easy and healthy way of adding these greens to our diet.
The best part of this recipe is that you need not remove the small stems of the murungai keerai , which is the most tedious part of cooking murungai keerai. As we are going to filter and make soup, you can use murungai keerai along with small stems.
Let us see how to make the Murungai Keerai Soup.
Murungai Keerai Soup | Drumstick Leaves Soup:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1 cup = 250 ml
To be pressure cooked :
1 cup Moringa leaves /murungai keerai ( loosely packed)
1/4 cup split and husked green gram/payatham paruppu/moong dal
1 onion ( roughly chopped)
1 tomato ( finely chopped)
2 garlic pods ( crushed or grated or roughly chopped)
1/2 " ginger piece( grated or finely chopped)
1 green chilli ( optional)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 teaspoon peppercorn ( freshly ground)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera ( freshly ground)
1. In a pressure cooker add the ingredients given under 'to be pressure cooked' , add 2 cups of water and pressure cook upto 3-4 whistles and switch off.
2. Once the pressure comes down, open the cooker and sieve the cooked ingredients into another vessel.
3. Press well so that you get all the extract.
Chef tip: Add a cup of warm water little by little to extract better. You can use the remains in making chutney or thogayal.
4. Place the soup over low heat and add the pepper and jeera.
5. Taste and adjust salt and add water if required.
6. Cook the soup for 3-4 minutes and serve hot.
Healthy, Soothing Soup is ready so quickly.
Happy Cooking !