I have been trying to make Oats taste better, interesting and delicious for my family. 'Vadai' is a favourite dish at home and so mixed oats along with other ingredients to make a vadai that is not deep fried but pan fried. Crispy on the outside and soft ,crumbly and delicious inside.
We all know that 'Spinach' is a super food filled with so much of nutrients and Oats is a whole grain that is healthy and nutritious. So, I have combined both these healthy ingredients to create this tasty vada. You can even bake this low calorie Vada in the oven . Boiled Chana dal/Bengal gram is mashed to bind the oats and the spinach. Also, adding potato increases the taste of the vada and makes it a crowd pleaser. Serve these crispy and delicious Vadas as starter or as an evening snack along with tea/coffee.
Keerai Vadai | Spinach Oats Vadai ( Low Calorie Vada):
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup spinach ( finely chopped)
1/4 cup chana dal /bengal gram ( boiled, drain excess water and mashed)
1 cup oats
1 potato ( peeled, boiled and mashed)
1 onion ( finely chopped)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder ( adjust)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 -1 teaspoon corn starch
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil ( for frying)
1. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients given above and mix well.
2. Shape them into thin patties and give an impression in the centre.
3. Heat a pan with oil and shallow fry the shaped vadas first on one side over medium flame, it they turn brown and crispy.
4. Flip the vadas and fry them on the other side till they turn light brown.
5. Drain them in a kitchen tissue .
Serve these delicious and healthy Vadas hot along with sauce or chutney.
Happy Cooking !