Paneer Tikka is an all time favourite starter in most of the North Indian Restaurants, especially before dinner . This Tandoor baked starter with its succulent and spicy feel, dipped in Green Chutney is the most sought after hors d'oeuvre in any function too.
In this recipe, along with paneer , there is a healthy inclusion of methi/fenugreek leaves that are highly nutritious and also flavourful. The methi leaves are added to the paneer while they are marinated and when the paneer is pan fried or grilled, the flavours of methi are so much absorbed by the paneer.
Though traditionally the paneer is cooked on the tandoor, at home we can recreate this delicious dish by cooking/frying them over the stove top or grill. Hot, spicy, soft and tangy Paneer Tikka on a chilly winter evening is the perfect appetiser before a sumptuous meal .
Preparation time : 3 hours
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
500 gm Paneer/cottage cheese ( fresh) ( cut into large cubes)
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
salt to taste
Ground paste ( for marination):
1/2 cup methi/fenugreek leaves
1/2 cup mint leaves
2 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
1/2" ginger piece
For garnish :
1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
1. In a mixer, grind all the ingredients given under 'For ground paste' to a smooth paste without adding any water and transfer it to a large bowl.
2. Add lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder , 1 teaspoon of oil to the mixture and mix well.
3. Add the paneer cubes to the above mixture , mix well, cover the bowl with a cling film or a lid and let it marinate for at least 3 hours.
4. Heat a grill pan ( you can use a regular pan also) with oil and fry this marinated paneer over low to medium flame till they are crisp and browned on all sides.
5. Remove the paneer and sprinkle hand crushed kasuri methi on top.
Your delicious Paneer Methi Tikki is ready to be served .
Happy Cooking !