A simple Potato stir fry served with steaming hot rasam and rice can be called 'comfort food' for us. This potato curry/poriyal is so simple to make but too tasty. You need to make a large batch whenever you are cooking this one as it is a show stopper.
'Urulaikizhangu' in Tamil means potato. Let me share this simple yet most popular recipe with you all.
Tam Brahm Home Style Urulaikizhangu Curry:
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 25-30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Wide pan or iron kadai
5 medium size potatoes ( washed, finely chopped with skin)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder /dhania powder ( roasted)
pinch of asafoetida
1 -2 teaspoon roasted gram flour /pottukadalai maavu
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon of oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
1/2 teaspoon channa dal/bengal gram
1 sprig curry leaves
Note : Instead of red chilli powder and dhania powder, you can also use your sambar powder. Adjust the spice levels according to your family preference.
1. Heat a kadai or pan with oil and temper with ingredients given for the same.
2. Now add the chopped potatoes.
3. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dhania powder ( or sambar powder), salt and mix well.
4. Sprinkle few drops of water and allow the potatoes to cook ( covered) over low/medium flame, stirring occasionally.
Note : Sprinkle few more drops of water so that the potatoes do not stick to the pan.This step will no take time as the potatoes are finely chopped. Make sure that the potatoes do not turn mushy.
5. Once the potatoes are fork tender, sprinkle the roasted gram flour and cook over medium flame, stirring so that the potatoes are uniformly coated with flour.
6. Cook the potatoes for another 10 minutes or till the time they are roasted well.
Your simple Tam Brahm Home Style Urulaikizhangu Curry is ready. I served it along with Fruit Rasam, Vazhaipoo Paruppurundai sambar, Sundakkai Vathal Kuzhambu , Murungai Keerai Vadai , rice and plain paruppu.
Happy Cooking !