'Paruppu' in Tamil language means lentil and' Urundai ' means round /dumplings . A spicy tangy Sambar ( if it is thicker, some call it Kuzhambu) with lentil dumplings - the "Paruppu Urundai Sambar ' is a speciality and is made on special occasions/ holidays/ festival days .
However, you can make any day special by making this sambar. I have added Vazhaipoo/ Banana flower/Banana blossom/banana heart in the dumplings to make it more nutritious .
Do try this weekend and let me know how you like it.
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 40 minutes
Serves : 4 -6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
For the Paruppu Urundai/lentil dumpling :
1 cup pigeon peas/ tuvar dal/ arhar dal ( soak for 1 hour )
1/2 cup Vazhaipoo/ banana blossom/ banana heart/ banana flower ( finely chopped )
3-4 dry red chillies ( I used guntur chillies)
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
pinch of asafoetida
Note : I also added few drumstick leaves/murungai keerai
salt to taste
For the sambar :
10 sambar onions/shallots ( peeled)OR 1 onion ( thinly sliced)
1-2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
marble size tamarind ( soak in warm water for 10 minutes, extract juice)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons sambar powder ( adjust)
1/4 cup boiled and mashed tuvar dal /pigeon peas
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon methi seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
For garnish :
handful of coriander leaves/cilantro ( finely chopped)
1. Cook the Vazhaipoo in a pan with 1 cup of water till they are cooked and tender.
2. Drain the excess water completely and set it aside.
3. Drain the excess water and grind the tuvar dal along with the vazhaipoo, dry red chillies to a coarse thick paste , without adding water.
4. Transfer it to a bowl, add the curry leaves, salt, asafoetida and mix well.
5. Shape them into small balls/dumplings and steam them for 15 minutes.
6. While the dumplings are steaming, heat a kadai/pan with oil.
7. Temper with the ingredients given for the same.
8. Add the shallots/sambar onions and fry them for 1 minute.
9. Now add the tomatoes and mix well.
10. Add salt, turmeric powder , sambar powder and cook over low flame for another minute.
11. Now add the tamarind juice and 2 cups of water ( adjust).
12. Cook covered over medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
13. Now add the cooked and mashed tuvar dal .
14. Remove the steamed dumplings and add it to the sambar.
15. Let them cook for another 6-7 minutes and switch off.
Note : Adjust water levels as the sambar might thicken .
16. Garnish with a handful of cilantro/coriander leaves.
Your delicious, wholesome Vazhaipoo Paruppu Urundai Sambar is ready !
Chef Tips :
1. Instead of boiled and mashed tuvar dal, you can add 1 tablespoon of rice flour to thicken the sambar.
2. You can clean and chop the banana flower, the previous day and soak them in a bowl of thin buttermilk and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. The vazhaipoo should completely immerse in the bowl, so choose your bowl/vessel accordingly.
3. Before using them for cooking, wash them thoroughly .
4. Vazhaipoo is a very healthy vegetable, though some find the cleaning process tedious. You can clean the Banana flower by following the steps below. Apply some oil in your hands to avoid discolouration.
5. Remove the outer purple layer and inside you will find flowers like this.
6. You need to remove the small transparent layer in the front and the tallest portion called stamen ( we call it Kaalan in Tamil), as these portions are difficult to digest.
|the kaalan and transparent layer is removed|
|they are clean now, chop them finely.|
7. Chop them finely and soak in the buttermilk water.
8. You can refrigerate this for upto 3 days and use them as and when.
9. Make sure to wash them well before using.
You can also try Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili recipe.
Happy Cooking !