Today I am sharing another tasty Assamese Recipe that is a great side dish for Poori and Phulkas.
Thekera Tenga is a Sour curry from Assamese cuisine. Thekera is a fruit that is dried and used as a souring agent in Assamese dishes. Few pieces of thekera are soaked in warm water and are used in the dishes. However , lemon and tomatoes are also used as souring agents. I used lemon juice as the souring agent.
The tenga ( sour curry) is usually served at the end of a meal. Usually fish is fried and used in the dish, but in this vegetarian version, I have roasted potato slices and added it to the tenga. Simple and rustic.
Thekera Tenga :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
4 medium size potatoes ( sliced thinly)
1 tablespoon mustard oil
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon rice flour or 1 mashed potato
2 teaspoons lemon juice or 3-4 thekera pieces soaked in 1/4 cup of water
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 teaspoon mustard oil
1 teaspoon pas phoran
3-4 green chillies ( roughly chopped)
For garnish :
handful of cilantro leaves ( finely chopped)
2. Heat oil and temper with ingredients given 'for tempering'.
3. Add 1-2 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder .
4. Mix rice flour with one tablespoon of water ( or 1 mashed potato) and add it to the water mixture.
5. When the mixture starts to thicken, add lemon juice ( or thekera water ) and the roasted potatoes.
6. Cook over low flame for another 4-5 minutes and switch off.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve it along with flatbreads .
Have you tried Bilahir Tok Recipe?
Happy Cooking !