Evening tea time or after school snack, this cabbage bonda is so easy to make without the hassle of soaking and grinding the urad dal.
You can use a spoon to drop the small bonda and they puff up into fluffy , light bondas in no time. No baking soda or baking powder too.
Here is my simple yet delicious recipe to make Muttakose Bonda / Cabbage Bonda .
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6-8
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Iron Kadai to fry the bonda
2 cups urad flour /split and husked black gram flour
3 cups cabbage ( finely chopped)
4-5 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1/2 " ginger (grated )
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly chopped)
handful of cilantro leaves/ coriander leaves ( finely chopped, optional)
salt to taste
oil to fry
Note : If you do not get urad flour in your grocery store, you can sun dry and grind the urad dal to a fine powder and store it in an air tight container.
1. In a big wide vessel add the urad dal flour , salt and mix well.
2. Add water little by little and make a thick urad dal batter ( just like medhu vadai batter).
3. Now using your hands, start beating the batter in a circular motion to aerate it and make the batter lighter and fluffier.
Chef tip : Beat the batter at least for 5 minutes.
4. Rest the batter for 10 minutes and chop the cabbage and green chillies.
5. Add the washed cabbage, green chillies, fennel seeds, asafoetida, ginger, curry leaves to the batter and mix well.
6. Heat oil in a kadai/wok and when the oil is hot, drop small portions of the batter using a spoon or your hand.
7. Let the bonda brown uniformly on both sides.
8. Drain them in a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
Your delicious snack is ready. I served it along with a super healthy Turmeric Chutney.
Happy Cooking !