The ' Masala' in Masala Dosa usually means a spicy and flavourful filling mainly made out of potato. But at home, I try various masalas to bring in variety to our tiffin. I have earlier shared Paneer masala Dosai Recipe with you all and so many of you have tried the recipe and shared your amazing feedback.
Today, I am going to share yet another tasty filling ' Cauliflower Masala'. I had shared this recipe earlier on Masterchefmom instagram page, and some of you have already tried and loved it. It is easy to make and very tasty recipe .
Next time you are planning to make Masala Dosai, try this Cauliflower Masala Dosai.
Cauliflower Masala Dosai Recipe:
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 medium size cauliflower ( chopped into florets)
1/2 cup peas( shelled)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
To roast and grind( for masala) :
1/2" cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 green cardamom
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
3-4 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon ghee or oil
To soak( for 10 minutes) and grind ( for masala):
2 tablespoons pottukadalai ( roasted gram )
1/4 cup fresh coconut ( chopped)
To temper :
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
For garnish :
handful of cilantro/coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
1. Soak the roasted gram and chopped coconut in water for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a pan and roast the ingredients given for the masala and transfer it to the jar of a mixie/mixer.mixie/mixer.
3. Drain water from the roasted gram and coconut , add it along with the roasted ingredients and grind them to a fine paste, adding 1/4 cup of water.
4. Your masala paste is ready.
5. Heat a kadai or wide pan with oil and temper with the ingredients given for the same.
6. Add the cauliflower, peas, salt, turmeric powder , mix well .
Note : If the cauliflower is fresh, it will hardly take time to cook. You can cut and soak the cauliflower in hot salt water for 5 minutes and then drain and add them to the tempering. This speeds up the cooking process and also removes any impurities in the vegetable.
8. Add the ground masala and few teaspoons of water and mix well.
9. Cook for 7-8 minutes over low/medium flame or till the time the cauliflower is soft and cooked. Switch off and garnish.
Note : The masala should not be too dry or have too much gravy. Adjust consistency accordingly.
10. I used the Karacha Maavu/batter to make the dosai. You can use the regular dosa maavu/ dosa batter to make dosai .
12. Spread the masala inside the dosai and serve hot with your choice of chutneys or sambar.
I served the dosai with Tiffin Sambar .
Happy Cooking !