There are so many varieties of sambar and today I am sharing a tasty sambar recipe that goes perfectly with idlis , dosa or any other tiffin dishes. No grinding of spices, yet flavourful and quick to make too. Adding vegetables makes this sambar more wholesome, but you can choose the vegetables you like. Also, you can simply use only shallots and tomatoes.
A handy sambar recipe for busy days.
Chettinadu Style Lemon Sambar:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1/2 cup toor dal/pigeon peas/thuvaram paruppu
1 onion ( thinly sliced)
1 potato ( finely chopped)
1 tomato ( finely chopped)
1 fresh red chilli or 2 green chillies ( finely chopped)
handful of peas
2 garlic pods ( finely chopped/grated)
1/2" ginger ( grated)
juice of 1/2 lemon ( adjust)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons sambar powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds ( coarsely ground using a mortar and pestle)
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
few coriander leaves ( optional)
1. Wash and boil the tuvar/toor dal along with the chopped potatoes , turmeric powder , pinch of salt and set it aside.
2. Heat a pan/kadai with oil and temper with ingredients given for the same.
3. Add the ginger, garlic, chillies, onions, salt and fry till the onions turn light golden.
4. Now add the the tomatoes , peas, sambar powder and allow it to cook over low flame for 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir in the boiled dal and potato mixture.
6. Adjust water quantity, salt and allow it to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
7. Add lemon juice, mix well and switch off.
Note : You can always adjust the quantity of lemon according to your taste preference.
8. Garnish with cilantro leaves/coriander leaves .
Your wholesome and delicious Chettinadu Style Lemon Sambar is ready for your breakfast ! I served it along with Poha Idlis .
Happy Cooking !