'Karacha Maavu' in Tamil means ' batter that is prepared by just mixing flours '. No grinding required at all. So Karacha Maavu Dosai can be easily prepared and can be made into dosai within minutes.
There are so many varieties of Karacha Dosai and shall be sharing as many I can . But today, I am mixing rice and urad dal flours to make this dosai.
This batter need not be too thin like the Ragi Dosai batter or Neer Dosai Batter . The consistency of the batter is just like the regular dosai batter. You can also make dosai just like the regular dosai instead of just pouring it.
The temperature of the tava, greasing the tava with sesame oil and beating the batter for atleast 5 minutes before you start making the dosai are important points to be kept in mind before you start making them.
You can read my post on " How to get golden brown dosai" for more tips on dosai making.
Karacha Maavu Dosai | Instant Dosai Recipe:
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup rice flour /arisi maavu
1/4 cup urad dal flour / split and husked black gram/ulutham paruppu ( grind without frying)
1 tablespoon besan /chick pea flour /kadalai maavu
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds powder/methi powder/ vendhaya podi
salt to taste
1 tablespoon sesame oil ( to drizzle)
1. Add rice flour, urad flour, methi powder, besan, salt and mix well.
2. Add water little by little and form a thick smooth , lump free batter.
3. Allow it to rest for at least 20 minutes.
4. Adjust water quantity ( if required) and beat the batter using your hands or ladle for at least 5 minutes.
6. Your Karacha Maavu dosai batter is ready.
7. Heat a tava and pour a ladleful of batter on the centre of the tava.
8. Move the ladle in circular motion from the centre of the tava towards the edge making a circle.
9. Drizzle sesame oil on the sides of the dosai.
Note : You can also close the dosai for just one minute after drizzling the oil as this helps to cook better.
10. Once the corners of the dosai start to brown, only then flip the dosai using the flat dosa spatula.
Chef Tip: If you try to remove the dosai before you see them browning, the dosai will tear. So be patient at least for the first 3-4 dosais.
11. The other side hardly takes any time to cook.
12. Remove the dosai from the tava and repeat the same process for the entire batch.