Having breakfast in Bangalore means having piping hot Khara Bhat with an amazing coconut chutney. It is Karnataka Style Upma made of semolina ( rava) and spiced with Vangi bhat Powder. As it has so many vegetables , it is a colourful dish too.
It is a great breakfast or an evening tiffin and can be paired with rava kesari . This combination of Khara bhat and Kesari bhat is popularly called as ' Chow Chow Bath '.
Khara Bhat | Karnataka Special Kara Bhat:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10-15 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml
1 cup rava ( I used Bombay rava, lightly roasted and stored)
2.5 cups water ( for rava, adjust according to the variety of rava you are using)
1& 1/2 teaspoon Vangi bhat powder ( add extra for more spice)
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
2 teaspoons oil ( I use sesame oil)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
1 onion ( finely chopped)
1 tomato ( finely chopped)
1 carrot ( finely chopped)
1/4 cup green peas (shelled)
For garnish (optional):
1 teaspoon ghee
5-6 cashew nuts ( broken)
1. Heat a wide pan/wok/kadai with oil+ghee and temper with the ingredients given under 'for tempering'.
2. Once tempered, add onions and cook for 1 minute over low flame.
3. Then add tomatoes , vangi bath powder, salt and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
4. Now add the other vegetables , mix and cook for one minute.
5. Add water , close the lid of the pan and allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. When the water starts to warm up, add the rava and keep stirring so that there are no lumps.
7. Cook over low flame for 5-6 minutes.
Chef tip: Adjust water quantity if required at this stage.
8. Close the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for another 5-6 minutes.
Chef tip : If you feel the upma is a little dry add a teaspoon of oil along the sides of the kadai.
9. Switch off.
7.The upma is ready to be served. You can garnish with cilantro leaves, hot ghee and cashew nuts if you like it more rich.
I served the upma with coconut chutney and filter coffee. This upma tastes great along with kesari bhat also.
Happy Cooking !