'Pori', " Mandakki',' Murmura', 'Borugula' , " Muri' are various Indian names for Puffed Rice. The puffed rice is tasty as is and is used to make Street Food varieties that are popular across various States of India . The most popular being Bombay Special 'Bhel Puri' and Kolkata Special 'Jhalmuri'.
Today, I am going share a easy, handy and healthy recipe using puffed rice. This dish is a popular Street Food in North Karnataka. You can personalise this dish according to your taste and this dish can be cooked within 10 minutes.
Mandakki Oggarane | Uggani | Arisi Pori Upma:
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Important Note : Puffed Rice varies in texture and size in different regions of India. Just like the beaten rice , the soaking time of the puffed rice will vary depending upon this. For certain thin varieties, you need not soak the puffed rice at all. Instead after adding it to the kadai, you can add 1/4 cup of water ( adjust the quantity ) and cook. But make sure not to soak for more than 2-3 minutes, else the puffed rice will become mushy.
2 onions ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
4-5 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1/4 cup peas ( shelled)
1 potato ( finely chopped)
2 garlic pods ( grated)
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
3- 4 cups Mandakki/puffed rice/Murmura
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon channa dal/ bengal gram
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/ split and husked black gram
2 teaspoons peanuts
2 teaspoons fresh coconut ( finely chopped or grated)
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 teaspoon roasted gram/pottukadalai ( powdered)
handful of cilantro/coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
1. Add the puffed rice to a colander and wash under running water and set it aside.
2. Heat a kadai/wok with oil and temper with ingredients given for the same.
3. Now add the green chillies, ginger, garlic , onions , salt, turmeric powder and mix well over low flame.
4. Add the tomatoes, potatoes, peas and 1/4 cup of water.
5. Once the potatoes have cooked, add the washed and drained puffed rice and cook them over medium heat .
Chef tip: If the puffed rice shrinks, it means that you need to add some more water to the upma and cook over medium high heat till the excess water is absorbed. The puffed rice need to be soft and fluffy.
6. Add the lemon juice, powdered gram. cilantro leaves and switch off immediately.
Serve hot along with your tea or coffee.
Happy Cooking !