'Chutneys' are interesting accompaniments to tiffin and snack dishes . A delicious chutney can elevate the taste of the main dish . Though vegetable chutneys are more popular, fruit chutneys are an interesting way to add fruits in your family's diet. Today I am sharing a very unique chutney recipe that can be served along with any Indian Chaat or Snacks or along with Dosai or Idli. You can also use this as a sandwich spread or a taco spread.
Strawberries are known for their anti-aging properties and they are now in season. Do try this interesting chutney recipe with season's freshest strawberries.
Strawberry Chutney :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 7-9 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
10 strawberries ( chopped)
1 large onion ( chopped )
2 green chillies ( chopped)
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 " ginger piece
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder ( optional)
1/2 teaspoon jaggery ( optional)
1 teaspoon oil
salt to taste
For tempering ( optional) :
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
For garnish( optional) :
4-5 fresh mint leaves or cilantro leaves ( finely chopped)
1. Heat a pan with oil and add ginger, garlic, green chillies and cook for 30-40 seconds.
2. Now add onions, turmeric powder, salt and cook till the onions turn glossy /translucent.
3. Now add the red chilli powder and the strawberries.
4. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes and switch off.
Chef tip : Strawberry cooks very fast, once it breaks down and becomes mushy, switch off.
5. Transfer this mixture to the jar of a mixer and add jaggery ( if adding).
6. Once the mixture is cool grind them to a smooth consistency.
Chef tip : You can decide the consistency of the chutney.
7. Heat a ladle or a small pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds.
8. Pour it over the strawberry chutney and mix well.
9. Garnish with your choice of herbs.
Your delicious , refreshing Strawberry Chutney is ready to be served.
Do try my other fruit fusion recipes : Strawberry Kara Kuzhambu, Orange peel Rasam, Orange Peel Vathal Kuzhambu and Watermelon Rasam .
Happy Cooking !