'Turmeric' known in Hindi as Haldi and in Tamil as 'Manjal' is full of healing properties. It is used as a medicine in Ayurveda and in Indian Cooking over centuries. It has now become a globally popular spice and is even termed as 'Super food'.
Fresh Turmeric Root is available during the winter months in North India and I have been using them in various recipes. I have earlier shared the Fresh Turmeric thokku and Pickle recipes with you all.
Today, I am going to share another easy yet tasty recipe using this super food.
Manjal Chutney :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1/4 cup fresh turmeric ( peeled and grated)
2 onions ( roughly chopped)
2 garlic pods ( roughly chopped)
2-3 dry red chillies ( roughly chopped)
2 teaspoons coriander seeds/dhania
2 teaspoons channa dal / bengal gram
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon peanuts
1 teaspoon sesame oil ( divided)
1/2 teaspoon jaggery or sugar
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly chopped)
1. Heat a pan with oil and fry coriander seeds, peanuts, peppercorns, channa dal and dry red chillies separately and transfer them to the jar of a mixer /mixie.
2. Heat the same pan with the remaining oil and fry the garlic till golden brown.
3. Add the onions and fry them till the excess water is absorbed and they turn light brown.
4. Transfer this onion garlic mixture to the jar of the mixie.
5. Now , heat the same pan again with 1/2 teaspoon oil and add the grated turmeric .
|grated turmeric looks like this and changes colour instantly|
6. Fry the turmeric for 2-3 minutes over low flame and transfer it to the mixer jar.
7. Once cooled, add salt and grind the mixture finely and transfer it to the serving vessel and dilute the mixture with water ( adjust according to your taste preference).
8. Heat a small ladle with oil and temper with ingredients given for the same.
9. Pour it over the chutney and mix well.
Healthy Manjal Chutney is ready to be served with your tiffin or snacks.
Happy Cooking !