'Vazhaithandu' or the Banana Stem is a delicacy filled with so many nutrients. It is most ideal to use them in your everyday cooking. 'Mor' means buttermilk in Tamil and as the banana stem is cooked in buttermilk or curd , it is called Vazhaithandu Mor Kootu.
A simple, straight forward recipe that hardly takes time to cook. Let us make the Mor Kootu.
Vazhaithandu Mor Kootu Recipe :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 cups Vazhai Thandu/Banana Stem ( cleaned and finely chopped)
1 cup curd ( whisked and diluted with 1/2 cup water)
1/2 cup fresh coconut ( grated)
3-4 green chillies
2 teaspoons rice flour
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1. In a jar of a mixie/mixer, add cur, coconut, green chillies , rice flour and grind them to a fine paste.
2. Heat a pan or kadai with oil and temper with ingredients given for tempering.
3. Once tempered add the chopped banana stem, turmeric powder , salt and cook over low flame ( covered ) till they are cooked.
Chef tip: The banana stem cooks fast and this step will not take time. You can also cook the banana stem in a pressure cooker.
4. When the banana stem is cooked, add the ground mixture and adjust water levels.
5. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes only or till the mixture starts to boil and switch off.
Your simple, delicious and healthy Vazhaithandu Mor Kootu is ready. You can serve them along with rice and sambar.
Have you tried my Tirunelveli Style Vazhaithandu Sambar Recipe ?
Happy cooking !