'Pakoras' are popular tea time snacks in India. Though these are called 'Bonda' in South India, in the North , they are known as Pakoras. There are so many varieties of Pakoras and this recipe of Aloo Dal Pakora is famous especially in the Hill Stations where a bowl of pakoras and steaming hot chai is irresistible.
These pakoras are rich in proteins as the pakora batter comprises of soaked moong dal/moong beans . Once the soaked moong dal is ground , they are used as the outer coating for the prepared potato filling.
A perfect monsoon snack recipe.
Aloo Dal Pakora | Aloo Moong Bonda :
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
For the batter :
1 cup moong dal ( soaked for 1 hour)
1/2 " ginger
3 green chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
salt to taste
For the Potato stuffing :
3 large potatoes ( boiled and mashed)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon dhania powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon fennel seeds ( coarsely powdered)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
handful of cilantro ( finely chopped, optional)
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. To prepare the stuffing, add the ingredients given under ' Potato stuffing ' in a bowl and mix well.
2. Pinch small portions of the potato mixture , shape them into equal size balls and set them aside.
3. To prepare the batter, drain the excess water from the moong dal and transfer it to the jar of a mixer.
4. Add green chillies, ginger, salt and grind it to a smooth batter using very little water.
5. Transfer the ground batter into a wide bowl.
6. Heat oil in a kadai/wok.
7. When the oil is hot, dip each potato ball in the dal batter and slowly drop them into the oil.
8. Fry the pakoras over medium heat till they are light golden on both sides .
9. Drain them in a kitchen towel.
10. Repeat the same process for the rest of the batch.
Delicious Aloo dal pakoras are ready and can be served along with mint or coriander leaves chutney.
1.Instead of split and husked moong dal, you can also use whole moong beans, in which case, increase the soaking time to 2 hours.