We all know that 'Breakfast ' is the most important meal of the day and a tasty , healthy and interesting side dish makes the tiffin that you serve interesting and enjoyable. This breakfast sambar recipe is a keeper and will remind you of small town South Indian Hotels that serve tiffin like idli/dosai/pongal/kal dosai in banana leaf with generous amounts of this sambar.
This sambar is a little more watery than the regular sambar . A must try recipe.
Recipe adapted from 'The Chettinad Cookbook '
Chettinad Tiffin Sambar Recipe:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1/2 cup toor dal/ pigeon peas
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
gooseberry size tamarind ( soak in warm water and extract juice)
salt to taste
Vegetables for the sambar :
1 drumstick ( small) ( cut into 5 cm pieces)
1/2 cup brinjal ( finely chopped)
1 onion ( sliced thinly )
20-25 shallots/sambar vengayam/sambar onion
1 tomato ( large) ( finely chopped)
6-7 green chillies ( slit in the middle)( adjust quantity according to the heat of chillies)
For tempering :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/split and husked black gram
2 dry red chillies
pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
For garnish :
coriander leaves/cilantro ( finely chopped)( optional, I do not add)
1. Wash toor dal twice add 2 cups water, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles and switch off.
2. Once the pressure releases, add all the 'vegetables for sambar ', salt and pressure cook for just one whistle and switch off.
3. Once the pressure releases, add tamarind water and place the vessel/cooker back on low heat and allow it to simmer for 5-6 minutes .
Chef tip : If you are using an inner vessel to cook the dal and vegetables, then transfer the dal and vegetable mixture to a kadai or a thick bottom vessel. Adjust water quantity.
4. Heat a small iron ladle or pan with oil and temper with ingredients given under' to temper' and pour it over the sambar , mix and switch off.
5. Garnish ( optional) with coriander leaves.
Your Chettinad Tiffin Sambar is ready . I served it with Ven Pongal. Too yummy !
Happy Cooking !