Naan and Pizza are two very popular dishes . Today, I am sharing an Indian Italian Fusion recipe that can be made at home from scratch.
'Naan' means 'Bread' in Persian. This bread recipe has travelled across the world and is one of the most loved bread recipes today. It is an integral part of Punjabi and Mughlai Cuisine. The Naan is a leavened flat bread that is baked in a Tandoor. That is the main reason that it is so popular in restaurant menus, as it is difficult to bake at home without a tandoor .
In this recipe ' Paneer Naan Pizza' , the Naan bread makes for a wonderful thin crust pizza base . I have used baking powder and curds as the leavening agents instead of yeast. You can use whole wheat flour or a gluten free flour instead of maida/all purpose flour for a healthier alternative. It is a fantastic party idea and can be had as a starter or the main dish.
Paneer Naan Pizza:
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Makes : 4 medium size Naans
1 cup = 250 ml
For the Naan :
1 cup All Purpose Flour / Maida
1 teaspoon baking powder
salt ( to taste)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup curd ( thick)
1 tablespoon ghee or oil
water ( warm, adjust )
1/4 cup flour ( for dusting )
For the pizza sauce :
4 tomatoes ( blanched)
4 garlic pods
1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
5 basil leaves ( finely chopped)
1/4 teaspoon butter or oil
salt ( to taste)
Pizza Toppings :
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese ( grated)
1 cup bell peppers ( all colours, thinly sliced)
100 gm Paneer /Cottage Cheese
1 onion ( thinly sliced)
1/2 teaspoon Chilli flakes ( adjust)
1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs ( adjust)
1 tablespoon butter or oil ( to grease the baking pan and the naan)
1. Add all the dry ingredients to make the Naan in a wide bowl and mix well.
2. Add warm mix and start mixing the dough to bring them together.
3. Now add the oil and the curds and try to knead and form a smooth dough adding few drops of warm water if the dough is dry.
4. Knead the dough for at least minutes 10 minutes or till the dough becomes soft and pliable.
5. Place the dough in a bowl and cover using a damp comp .
6. Rest the dough for at least 45 minutes in a dry and warm place.
7. Once the dough is rested, divide them into equal portions.
8. Dust your working counter with flour, roll each portion into balls.
9. Using a rolling pin or your hand, gently roll out the naans in your desired shape.
10. Heat a tava till it gets smoking hot.
11. Place the rolled out naan bread on the tava.
12. You will start seeing bubbles on the naan as it cooks.
13. When done on one side, flip and cook the other side.
14. Repeat the same process for all the naans.
Pizza Sauce :
1. Puree the blanched tomatoes along with the garlic pods.
2. Heat a pan with butter or oil and add the puree.
3. Add the spices and seasoning and allow the sauce to thicken by cooking it over low flame for 5-6 minutes and switch off.
Your pizza sauce is ready.
Assembling the Naan Pizza:
1. Line a baking tray with foil.
2. Apply a coat of butter or oil on the foil using a brush .
3. Assemble the naans on the baking tray .
4. Grease the naan with butter.
5. Spread the pizza sauce over each naan.
6. Sprinkle cheese generously.
7.Arrange the topping over the cheese.
8. Sprinkle the seasoning on top .
9. Bake them in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or till the time the cheese melts.
Delicious and stunning looking Paneer Naan Pizza is ready to be served.
Happy Cooking !