'Poondu' means 'Garlic 'in Tamil language . Garlic has numerous healing and nutritive properties and it is most ideal to include garlic in our daily diet. Today I am sharing a delicious kuzhambu recipe . This kuzhambu recipe is a show stopper and is finger licking good with steaming hot rice and ghee. I have to thank my friend , Kritika who is also a passionate cook for sharing this tasty family recipe with me. It is a keeper recipe and I highly recommend you to try it.
Recipe Courtesy : Mrs. Kritika Malkumar
Poondu Kuzhambu | Spicy Garlic Curry from Tamil Nadu
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
20 garlic pods
20 shallots/sambar onions
1 &1/2 teaspoons peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
1 teaspoon dhaniya powder/coriander seeds powder ( freshly ground gives best taste)
1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
lemon size tamarind ( soak in warm 1 cup warm water and extract the juice)
salt to taste
To grind :
1/2 " ginger
2 garlic pods
To temper :
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1-2 sprigs curry leaves
1. Heat a small ladle with ghee and fry the peppercorns .
Chef Tip: They will start to splutter, remove from flame .
2. Grind them using a mortar and pestle and set it aside.
3. Heat a kadai with oil and temper with ingredients given ' to temper'.
4. Now add the shallots , garlic , pinch of salt and fry till they are lightly browned.
5. Add dhaniya powder and fry for a few seconds.
6. Now add the ground onion tomato puree, adjust salt and mix well.
Chef Tip: The mixture has to cook really well for best taste. There should be no raw taste or moisture. Cook over low flame. This step will take at least 10-12 minutes.
7. Add the crushed peppercorns, red chilli powder and allow the mixture to cook till the oil separates on the sides of the pan.
8. Now add the tamarind juice and cook over medium to low flame for another 15 minutes or till the time the kuzhambu thickens .
Delicious Poondu Kuzhambu is ready to be served along with lunch .
Looking for more kuzhambu recipes? Click here .
Happy Cooking !