You all know my love for chutneys. I like to try different chutney varieties to serve as a side dish for tiffin. Since Brinjal is loved by family, this chutney is popular at home. As I do not add any water while grinding this chutney, it remains good for even upto 3 days. Mix it with rice or serve it as a side dish even to chapathi/roti , it tastes great.
Without further delay, let's dive straight into the recipe.
Recipe adapted from 'Cooking at Home with Pedatha' by Jigyasa Giri and Pratibha Jain
Vankaya Pachadi |Andhra Style Brinjal Chutney :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 large Brinjal/Aubergine
lemon size tamarind or 1 tablespoon tamarind paste ( add 2 tablespoons hot water and extract thick pulp)
salt to taste
To roast and grind :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon urad dal/split and husked black gram)
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds /methi seeds
6-8 dry red chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
2-3 green chillies
Other ingredients :
1 sprig curry leaves ( optional)
handful of cilantro leaves ( optional)
pinch of asafoetida
1. Wash the Brinjal and pat dry.
2. Apply a coat of sesame oil and fire roast the brinjal till the it is well cooked.
Chef tip: You can pierce the brinjal with a fork to check if it is done.While roasting the brinjal, keep moving it every few seconds so that all the sides are cooked properly.
3. Remove the skin and mash the brinjal.
4. Heat a small pan/kadai with oil and roast all the ingredients given for roasting and grinding .
5. Switch off and add the tamarind pulp, curry leaves and cilantro to the dal mixture so that they can cook in the heat of the pan.
6. Transfer this to the jar of a mixer/mixie and grind it to a smooth paste.
Chef tip : If you are serving it as a dip or as chutney for set dosai/idli, you can add the brinjal along with the other ingredients and grind .
7. Add this to the mashed brinjal and adjust salt .
Your delicious and spicy Vankaya Pachadi is ready.
You can check out more delicious chutney recipes here.
Happy Cooking !