Indian Cuisine is so vast and learning new recipes from various regions of India, has always fascinated me. Bengali Cuisine has it's unique flavours and today I am going to share another great recipe from this cuisine.
It is a great idea to bring variety to every day cooking and this Bengali Curry is a great lunch option.
In Bengali ' Chapor' means ' to pat'. As the moong dal batter are shaped by patting them and flattening them before shallow frying them, they are called Chapor. The Chapor Ghonto is a wholesome dish that is made using seasonal vegetables . It is a delicacy of the Bengali cuisine. The Panch Phoran is tempered in ghee and this makes this dish even more tasty. This is a wet sabzi( vegetable dish) and tastes great with rice or rotis.
Bengali Chapor Ghonto Recipe :
Preparation time : 4-5 hours
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
For the Chapor :
1 cup moong dal/ husked green gram
1 dry red chilli
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
salt ( to taste)
Mustard oil ( to grease)
For the tempering :
1 teaspoon ghee
1 teaspoon panch phoran
2 bay leaves
1-2 dry red chillies ( halved)
Other ingredients :
1 Potato ( cubed)
1 brinjal ( cubed)
1 cup bottle gourd ( cubed)
1 carrot ( cubed)
1 teaspoon sugar ( adjust)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 cup bengal gram / channa dal ( boiled)
salt to taste
For garnish( optional) :
handful of cilantro / coriander leaves
1. Wash and soak moong dal for 3-4 hours .
2. Drain excess water and grind it coarsely along with dry red chilli and ginger.
3. Add salt and mix well.
4. Grease a tawa and your hands with oil.
5. Pinch small portions of the dal batter and pat them flat and place them in the greased pan.
6. Once you have placed all the patties in the tawa, place it over medium heat and cook till they turn crisp on all sides.
7. Drain the patties and set them aside.
8. Heat a kadai/wok over medium flame with ghee and temper with ingredients given for the same.
9. Add the chopped vegetables, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup of water.
10. Let the mixture cook for 6-7 minutes or till the time , the vegetables are cooked.
11. Now add the cooked channa dal and mix well.
12. Let the mixture cook for another 3-4 minutes , adjust water if required.
13. Add the lentil patties , cilantro and switch off.
Delicious Chapor Ghonto is ready to be served . I served it along with Bhaja Muger dal, Aloo Bhaja and Assamese Boror Tenga.
Chef tips :
1. You can use seasonal vegetables of your choice.
2. You can adjust spice levels according to your taste.
Happy Cooking !