If you have ever tasted Bombay Special Vada Pav , you might have tasted the very spicy garlic powder that is sprinkled or spread on the pav. This chutney powder can be used as a seasoning in your toasts , dosas and even to flavour your vegetables. Very simple to make and hardly takes any time to prepare.
Garlic is known for it's numerous health benefits and anti - ageing properties. Sprinkling a small amount of this chutney powder in your dishes is an easy way to add garlic in your diet . I have used the garlic peels as removing them takes away certain anti oxidant properties in them.
Garlic Chutney Powder:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 5-7 minutes
Makes : 120 gm of Garlic Chutney powder
Storage : keeps good for 3 months when stored in a clean, air tight, odour free container
1 cup dry coconut pieces /Kopara
35 dry red chillies ( I used Kashmiri Chillies, adjust chilli quantity according to your spice requirement)
50 garlic pods ( medium size pods)
1/2 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1. Heat a kadai/pan with oil over low flame and roast the garlic pods for 3-4 minutes .
2. Transfer it to a wide vessel/plate and place the kadai back on low flame.
3. Add the chillies and roast them for 2-3 minutes only, stirring continuously so that they do not burn and roast uniformly.
4. Transfer it to the wide vessel/plate and place the kadai back on flame.
5. Now add the kopara/dry coconut pieces and roast just for 2-3 minutes and switch off.
6. Once the three ingredients are completely cooled , transfer them to the jar of a mixer and grind them to a fine powder.
Chef tips :
1. Because you are grinding along with the peel, you may not get a smooth powder. So after grinding coarsely, cool them completely for 30 minutes in a wide plate and then transfer it again to the jar and grind it into a smooth powder.
2. You can also peel the garlic and roast them .
3. You can add a pinch of tamarind if you like.
Your Spicy Garlic Chutney Powder is ready. Once completely cooled, transfer them to a clean, air tight container.
Happy Cooking !