Sizzlers are very popular in restaurant menus across the world , especially with youngsters. While there are varieties of sizzlers , the Italian Sizzler is a crowd pleaser. This sizzler is a complete Italian meal by itself , comprising of garlic bread , roasted vegetables, choice of pasta and choice of choice. I have earlier shared the Paneer Sizzler recipe .
This sizzler can be assembled at home by following this simple recipe .
Italian Pasta Sizzler:
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 2-3
Tomato Sauce for Pasta:
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
6-7 garlic pods ( small, finely chopped or grated)
5 tomatoes (blanched and pureed)
2 cups water
2 teaspoons corn flour ( mix with 2 tablespoons water, optional )
handful of basil ( finely chopped)
1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs mix
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/4 cup cheese ( grated, mozzarella)
salt to taste
2 cups Pasta ( of your choice, cooked Al Dente)
For the Garlic Cheese Bread :
4-5 slices bread ( of your choice )
1 tablespoon butter ( salted)
6-7 garlic pods ( crushed using mortar and pestle)
1/2 cup cheese ( grated , mozzarella)
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon Italian herbs ( dry or fresh)
For roasted vegetables :
1-2 potatoes ( cut into fingers, blanched)
1 onion ( diced)
1 carrot ( diced,blanched)
1 tomato ( deseeded and diced)
1/2 cauliflower ( cut into florets, blanched)
1/4 cup sweet corn ( blanched)
6-7 french beans ( cut into 3" pieces,blanched )
1/2 cup bell peppers ( red, yellow, green, diced)
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( powdered)
salt to taste
For assembling the sizzler :
6-7 cabbage leaves ( wash and keep it soaked in cold water till use)
1 teaspoon butter
To make the roasted vegetables :
1. Heat a wide pan with oil and roast the potatoes and other vegetables each separately, adding salt and pepper to them.
2. When they are roasted and slightly crisp on the outside, but soft inside , switch off and set them aside.
To make the Pasta :
1. Heat a wide pan over low flame and add garlic.
2. Fry for 1-2 minutes or till the garlic is light brown and immediately add pureed tomatoes and salt.
3. Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
4. Now add water and the corn flour mixture.
5. Once the mixture thickens , switch off and pour half of the sauce into the cooked pasta , mix well and set it aside.
6. Reserve the other half to serve while assembling the sizzler.
To make the Garlic Cheese bread :
1. To the crushed garlic add butter , Italian herbs and mix well.
2. Spread the garlic butter on one side of each bread.
3. Heat a skillet with butter and place the bread for toasting on low flame.
4. Sprinkle cheese on top of the bread.
5. Close the pan for just 1 minute.
6. When the cheese begins to melt, remove the garlic bread and set it aside.
7. Alternatively, you can bake the prepared garlic bread in your preheated oven for 5-6 minutes at 180 degrees C.
To assemble the sizzler:
1. Grease the sizzler pan with butter.
2. Line the pan with cabbage leaves.
3. Place the pan on the gas stove over low heat.
4. As the sizzler pan is heating, arrange the roasted vegetables, and pasta.
5. Heat the pasta sauce and when the pan is screaming hot , pour it over the pasta .
6. Switch off the gas and add a 1/2 teaspoon of melted butter on the sides of the pan and this will help it to sizzle.
7. Add the garlic bread to the pan, and c arefully lift the sizzler pan and place it on the wooden board ( part of the sizzler pan) and serve it to your family.
Your yummy Italian Pasta Sizzler is ready .
Chef Tips :
1. If you do not have a sizzler pan, you can use a grill pan to make the sizzler.
2. Line the grill pan with cabbage leaves and follow the above recipe.
3. While heating the sizzler pan, be extremely careful, especially while adding butter.
4. While assembling the sizzler pan, always keep the flame on low.
5. You can add a teaspoon of vinegar along with butter to help it sizzle more. This is an optional step.
6. You can use your choice of seasonal vegetables to make the sizzler.
7. Adjust spice quantity according to your preference.
Happy Cooking !