Have you cooked fresh green channa ? Hare Chane/ Fresh Green Chickpeas / Choliya is available in plenty during the winter months. They are shelled and sold in packets. They taste best when you use them on the day you buy them .
High in fibre, folate and many other high oxidant vitamins like Vitamin A and C, the green chickpeas is also beneficial for weight management. The green chickpeas/choliya cooks quickly and can be added to many vegetables and curries.
Interestingly, they make a great dessert . Choliya Halwa is a popular delicacy in Rajasthan. The green chickpeas is ground raw and cooked along with ghee and sugar to make this melt in the mouth halwa. A different, healthy and delicious recipe for you to try when green chana is in season.
Rajasthani Hare Chane Ka Halwa
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
serves : 6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup fresh chickpeas/choliya ( pureed)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup ghee/clarified butter
2 cardamom pods ( finely powdered)
For garnish :
1 teaspoon ghee
5-6 pistachios ( chopped)
1. Heat a heavy bottom kadai/pan with ghee.
2. Add the ground choliya mixture and keep stirring over low flame for 7-8 minutes or till the time they are cooked .
3. Now add sugar and cardamom powder and continue to keep stirring till the time all the extra moisture is absorbed and the halwa becomes non sticky and forms a single lump.
4. Switch off.
5. Heat ghee in a small pan and add the dry fruits for garnish and fry till fragrant and pour it over the halwa and mix well.
Delicious Rajasthani Choliya Halwa is ready to be served.
1. You can adjust the ghee and sugar quantity according to your taste preference.
2. Stirring of Halwa is important so that the halwa is cooked uniformly .
3. You can add your choice of dry fruits for garnish.
Happy Cooking !