Do you know that coconut milk helps to heal mouth and stomach ulcers? When any one in the family suffers from mouth ulcers, I make fresh coconut milk and give them on an empty stomach. It really helps. Even otherwise, I love coconut milk and enjoy it along with idiappam and appam. I add freshly powdered cardamom and sugar to it and it tastes divine.
Coming to today's recipe - Coconut milk rasam , it is a soothing rasam recipe , perfect for summers. Try to hand crush the tomatoes for maximum flavour . I have added few garlic pods, but you can avoid them if do not like garlic taste. But it is so good for health.
Without further delay, let me share this recipe with all of you.
Thengai Paal Rasam | Coconut Milk Rasam Recipe:
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
3 tablespoons fresh coconut milk ( first milk, extracted from 1/2 coconut )
2 tomatoes ( roughly chopped)
2 green chillies ( roughly chopped, adjust quantity according to heat of chillies)
5 garlic pods
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
3 cups of water ( adjust)
salt to taste
For the spice mix :
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon dhania/coriander seeds
For tempering :
1 teaspoon ghee ( for vegans, use coconut oil)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
For garnish :
4-5 stalks of coriander /cilantro ( finely chopped)
1. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the tomatoes, so that the juices are released .
2. Add the crushed tomatoes to 2 cups of water in a heavy bottom vessel or kadai and place it over low heat.
3. Crush garlic and chillies and make them into a coarse paste and add it to the tomato water mixture.
4. Rough tear the curry leaves and add it to the tomato water mixture.
5. While the mixture is simmering, extract the coconut milk and set it aside.
6. Grind the spice mix using mortar and pestle and add it to the tomato mixture.
Chef tip: Let the tomato water simmer for at least 7-8 minutes before you add the spice mix.
7. Add salt and another cup of water and allow the rasam to boil for another 5-7 minutes and switch off.
8. Add the coconut milk , mix well and garnish with cilantro leaves.
9. Heat an iron ladle with ghee and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.
10. Pour it into the rasam and close the lid of the vessel.
Your soothing, healthy and delicious coconut milk rasam is ready to be enjoyed along with your lunch or can be had as a soup.
For more rasam recipes, click here.
Happy Cooking !