'Vangi' in Kannada means 'Brinjal/ Aubergine/Eggplant'. This is a spicy brinjal rice made using the Vangi Bhat Masala. Long brinjal variety with less seeds are best suited to make this rice. If the masala is ready, you can make this rice within a few minutes. The rice tastes better when marinated for 2 hours. So, it is an ideal picnic or office/school lunch box dish.
During summers, when you are not in a mood to make elaborate meals , this rice comes handy. I served the Vangi Bhat with cucumber and carrot raita and it tasted so delicious.
Vangi Bath :
Preparation time : 5-7 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Iron Kadai/wok
1 cup raw rice ( cook with 2 cups of water and cool the cooked rice so that they do not turn mushy)
3 cups brinjal (thinly sliced)
1 large onion ( thinly sliced)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons Vangi Bath Masala ( adjust according to spice requirements)
salt ( to taste)
For tempering :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ghee ( optional)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons peanuts
1 sprig curry leaves
1. Heat a pan/kadai with oil and ghee and temper with ingredients given under ' for tempering'.
2. Now add the onions, salt, turmeric powder and fry them for 3-4 minutes.
3. Now add the Vangi bhat masala, sliced brinjal and mix well.
4. Cook covered for 3-4 minutes only so that the brinjal gets cooked but not mushy.
5. Open the lid and cook till the brinjal gets fried well and reduces in size.
6. Switch off and mix the cooked rice .
Your delicious Vangi bath is ready to be served immediately or packed for lunch box.
Happy Cooking !