Saturday, December 9, 2017

Karuvepillai Chutney | Curry Leaves Chutney Recipe | Gluten Free and Vegan Recipe

Karuvepillai Chutney

Hi Supermoms,

Curry Leaves are such an integral part of Indian Cooking. I simply love the flavour curry leaves imparts in every dish that I cook. If I do not get them fresh, I use the dry powdered one

I feel a child like excitement when I see two things - banana leaves and curry leaves. Both remind me of my grandmothers , childhood and tasty food. My paternal grandmother  always used to tell me to chew my curry leaves well . She used to tell the teenage me that my hair would grow long and never turn grey . I think she knew which aspect of curry leaves she needs to highlight  to encourage a teenage girl to eat a bitter leaf . She was such a wise lady. Being the sincere girl that I am , I always do it even till date 😊 and quote my grandmother to my children . And like she said, my locks still remain the same black . 

Curry Leaves Chutney

My love for Chutneys is not hidden from you all and today I am presenting another tasty recipe for you all to try. 

Recipe adapted from 'Cooking At home with Pedatha' 

Karuvepillai Chutney | Curry Leaves Chutney :

Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup 

Ingredients :

To fry :

1 cup curry leaves ( washed and pat dried)
1 teaspoon urad dal /husked and split black gram
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds 
1 green chilli ( add more if you like it more hot) 
4-5 dry red chillies ( adjust according to taste) 
1 teaspoon oil ( I used sesame oil)

Other ingredients :

1/4 cup coriander leaves( finely chopped)
10 mint leaves ( chopped)
marble size tamarind ( soak in 1/4 cup warm water and extract juice)
1/2 teaspoon jaggery
pinch of asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
salt to taste

For tempering :

1 teaspoon oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon urad dal 

Method :

1. Heat a pan or kadai with 1/2 teaspoon of oil over low flame and fry urad dal till it turns light brown.

2. Add mustard and once they splutter , add the  cumin seeds , dry red chillies and switch off. 
3. Transfer this to the jar of a mixer and place the pan back on low flame. 

4. Add the remaining half teaspoon of oil and fry the pat dried curry leaves till they turn crispy and switch off. 


5. Transfer it to the jar of the mixer. 
6. In the heat of the kadai, toss the coriander leaves and mint leaves and add them to the jar of the mixer. 

6. Add  turmeric powder, salt, asafoetida powder, jaggery and tamarind juice. 

7. Grind it smoothly .
Chef tip : You can add water little by little to grind the mixture smoothly. 
8. Heat oil and temper with the ingredients given for the same and pour it over the chutney.
9. Taste and adjust salt . 

Your delicious chutney is ready to be served. I served it with mini dosai. 

Karuvepillai Chutney

Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom











No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...