Friday, August 3, 2018

Tomato Vada | Tomato Vada recipe from Saraswat Cuisine | Gluten Free and Vegan Recipe

Tomato Vada

Hi Supermoms,

It was one of those days when I got up so enthusiastically and wanted to cook an elaborate meal for the family. I love Gujarati and Marathi cuisines and I have been wanting to try different recipes from those States. 

I chose the Saraswat cuisine and thought of creating a complete meal platter . As you can see , I was more than happy with the outcome. From sanza to batata vada, tomato vada , sambhare and chutneys, the meal was indeed a colourful and tasty affair. Coconut , dry red chillies and tamarind gave the required taste quotient to all the dishes. 

This cuisine is not new to me. I love the cookbook 'Rasachandrika' and have cooked many recipes from it. I had earlier shared detailed 'Tomato saar' recipe with you all. 

When I shared this platter, many of you messaged me to share their recipes. So, today I am starting with this unique , tasty and healthy Tomato Vada Recipe. 

What attracted me most was the simplicity of this recipe . Minimum ingredients and maximum taste. I think this introduction must have already tempted you to give this  tomato vada , a try 💪😄. 

Saraswat Brahmin Style Tomato Vada Recipe

Recipe adapted from " Rasachandrika'.

Tomato Vada : 

Preparation time : 20 minutes 
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 2-3 
1 cup = 250 ml cup 

Ingredients :

4 large tomatoes 
1 cup sprouted green gram 

For the filling :

1/4 cup fresh coconut ( grated) 
1/2 teaspoon jeera powder/cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds powder 
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder 
1/2 teaspoon thick tamarind paste ( you can soak marble size tamarind in 2 tablespoons warm water and extract juice)
salt to taste

To temper :

1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoons oil
pinch of asafoetida 

Method :

1. Steam the green gram for just 5 minutes and set it aside.
2. To the  green gram add all the ingredients given under ' For the filling ' and mix well.


3. Slice each tomato on the top and remove the seeds.
4. Fill the tomatoes with the stuffing prepared. 
5. Heat a wide pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.
6. Gently place the tomatoes on the pan and cook till they are browned ( cooked) uniformly on all sides.
Chef tip : Gently turn the tomatoes every few minutes so that they cook evenly on all sides. 

Your delicious Tomato Vada is now ready!!

Tomato Vada

Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom







No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...