Friday, September 7, 2018

Sabudana Vada Recipe | Javvarisi Vadai | Sago Vada | Gluten Free and Vegan

Sabudana Vada Recipe


Hi Supermoms,

I am so excited to share this recipe with you. 

Before I share this tasty and popular recipe, I have to share a decade old story about these vadas with all of you. Sabudana Vada is my daughter's favourite vadai and I used to make it often , to send it as a school tiffin. I know that the day I send it as a tiffin, I am going to make her very happy. 

But, what I did not know was that the vadas should not be tightly rolled. You can imagine what would have happened. The vadas started to explode in oil and I was shocked ( to say the least 😱). I shared this kitchen disaster with my mother and friends and then came to know the mistake I made . 
It took me many months to try the vada again 😹. 
Slowly, I gathered courage and from then onwards, I am very careful when shaping them 😀. 

I am sharing this experience with you all, so that you will never tightly pack them while shaping. 

I have shared so many tips to get the vada right. If you are making the vada to serve as evening snack, soak  sabudana in the morning . You can add rava if you want a crispy layer. But, I did not add it  and still they turned out super crispy. 


Sabudana Vada Recipe

Sabudana Vada | Javvarisi Vadai :

Preparation time: 8 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield : 15 to 20 small vadas
1 cup = 200 ml cup 

Ingredients:

1 Cup  Sabudana/Tapioca pearls ( wash twice and soak in water just enough to cover the sago pearls)
1 large boiled , peeled and  mashed Potato
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds/ajwain( optional)
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds ( optional)
2 green chillies( finely chopped)
1/4 cup peanuts ( coarsely powdered) ( I did not use)
handful of coriander leaves ( finely chopped) 
3-4 curry leaves ( roughly torn)
salt to taste
oil for frying ( I use ground nut oil ) 


Chef Tips :

1. Soak the sabadana with only that much water that covers the sabudana .
2.  Best is to soak it overnight and make the vadas in the morning, or you can shape the vadas and freeze it till the time you fry.
3. When you boil potato, use little water and mash it immediately after you boil. Let it not soak in the water for long.
4. Temperature is the key for frying and oil free Vada. Don't be in a hurry to drop the vadas. Wait for the right temperature. Check by first trying to fry a small piece. If it comes up immediately after you drop , then it is the right temperature. Also reduce the flame to medium when frying. Also keep checking the temperature. This helps in giving vadas the right colour and uses up very little oil.
5. You can add rava (cream of wheat ) to the dough, if you want it extra crisp.  Do not add if making for Vrat ( fasting) .This is optional.
6. You are now three steps away from this yummy snack.
7. You can add black salt if you are making for Vrat. 
8.If you are soaking the Sabudana for evening or night dinner, then soak them for 4 hours and drain them in a colander . Allow it to bloom in the colander for at least 2 hours. 


Method:

1. In a wide bowl, add the soaked and bloomed sago pearls, mashed potato, green chillies, cumin and caraway seeds, coriander leaves, curry leaves and mix well.
2. Take small portion of the vada dough , gently press and flatten .

3. Heat oil in a kadai/wok over medium flame and when the oil is hot, start to fry them in batches.
4. Once browned on both sides, remove and drain in a kitchen towel. 
5. Repeat the same for the remaining batch.

Your delicious Sabudana Vada is now ready. Serve it as a tea time snack along with chutney or pack them for school lunch box. 




Sabudana Vada Recipe



Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom










No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...