Gooseberries(Amla/Nellikai ) are in season and we all know that it is filled with Vitamin C and other vitamins that acts as a shield against infections and seasonal cold and flu. Vitamin C also helps in better absorption of Iron in the food we consume . So, it is more important for us to include this fruit in our diet on a regular basis.
But I always find it difficult to convince my kids to eat them.
Each time I buy gooseberry from the market, I try a different recipe. Here is a collection of various Gooseberry recipes from my blog that you can try. I will be adding many more interesting recipes using Nellikai.
Today, I am sharing the Nellikai Podi /Gooseberry Powder recipe that was enjoyed by my family. Actually, they did not even know that it had gooseberry in it!!! You can mix it along with rice or use it as a side dish for idli/dosa along with sesame oil. Tasty and healthy.
Nellikai Podi | Gooseberry Spice Powder :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30-35 minutes
Makes : Approximately 100 gms of podi
1 cup = 250 ml
Storage : Once the podi completely cools down, Store it in a clean, dry, air tight container .
6 large gooseberries/Nellikai/Amla ( grated )
1 tablespoon roasted gram/pottukadalai
2 tablespoons urad dal/ husked and split black gram
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
5-6 dry red chillies( adjust according to spice requirements)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon flax seeds (optional)
salt to taste
1. Heat a wide pan and add the grated amla( squeeze the juice and add ) and turmeric powder.
2. Keep stirring over low flame , till it becomes the excess water dries up and the grated amla turns dry and crisp.
Chef tip : You can amla in your palms to feel if they is any moisture. removing the moisture ensures that the podi remains good for months.
3. Allow it to cool completely and transfer it to the jar of your mixie/mixer/food processor.
4. Place the pan back on low flame and dry roast the other ingredients separately and transfer them to the jar of the mixie.
4. Once they are cooled completely , add salt and grind them coarsely or finely ( according to your texture preference)
5. Once the podi is completely cool, transfer it to an air tight jar/bottle .
Your healthy Gooseberry Spice Powder is ready .
Some more ideas to use this Spice powder :
You can use this powder to flavour and spice your vegetables/gravies or to make variety rice. I made coconut rice by adding this powder along with grated coconut. It tasted so yum!!!!
I am so happy to have found a fool proof method of adding gooseberries in our diet.
You can even store the roasted gooseberries seperately. Just crush them using your palm and use it in everyday cooking.
Easy, is'nt it?
Remember to buy gooseberries when they are in season and definetely try my Gooseberry Podi recipe.