This recipe was born out of my forgetfulness. I had soaked Kala Ćhanna( Dark Garbanzo) but had completely forgotten about it. I had just about 10 minutes before everyone assembled at the dinner table. The Dad gets upset if dinner call is made without the dishes getting ready.
And I did not want to refrigerate the beans for the next day. Put this dish together, which turned out to be a super hit and I was floating in the waves of complements that happened through out dinner. Infact, the dish is named by the one who relished it the most!
I have always had these beans as Sundal during Navratra with dry red chillies and coconut. And in the north it is always Poori- Halwa- Channa combination for poojas and Langars. So, was not a big fan of this beans until this recipe happened!
Texture wise, the Kala Channa is a little harder than the regular Garbanzo ( Chole). So, it is best to soak it for about 6 to 8 hours.
Now, to the recipe!!!!
Channa Makhani |
1. Kala Channa - 200 gms
2. Tomato Puree- I used store bought one for thickness and colour - 200 ml
3. Cream- used low fat cream - 3 tbsp ( adjust according to your taste)
4.Ghee ( clarified butter)-1 tsp
5. Chole masala powder -2 tsp( you can use a combination of chilli powder+ coriander+ aamchur+garam masala powder) if you do not have stock of chole masala.
6.Salt to taste.
7. 1 tsp ghee/ Butter ,chopped cilantro and 2 green chillies for garnish
1. Pressure cook the soaked Kala Channa( add little salt) with just enough water to cover it. Cook in medium flame upto 8 whistles.
2. In a pan, heat the ghee and add the tomato puree ,salt and Chole masala. Cook till ghee seperates on the sides. It takes around 7-8 minutes only. Add the drained cooked beans. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the drained water into the gravy if it is too thick. Now add the cream. Mix well and switch off on the first boil.
3. I heated 1/2 spoon of ghee and tempered slit green chillies and poured it on top of the CHANNA MAKHANI. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Tastes so different...tangy,spicy and rich!!!!
Do try and your family will like it!!!