Another traditional 'Bakshanam' that is sweet and yummy is 'Vella Seedai'. This is an uncomplicated easy sweet dish that is made on special occasions and festivals. I am so happy to feature it in the 'Bakshanam Series'.
By the time I photographed them, it was dusk and I did not have adequate natural light for better clarity and they were all finished after our Janmashtami Pooja !!!!Shall update the picture when I make them next.
Vella Seedai| Jaggery Seedai :
Preparation time : 10 minutes ( have your Bakshanam Flours ready)
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Yield : 20 vella seedais
1 Cup = 250 ml
Vessel Required : Iron karahi/ Wok
1 Cup Homemade Rice Flour
1/2 Cup powdered Jaggery
1/4 Cup water
2 teaspoon Homemade Urad Flour
1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
1 teaspoon coconut pieces ( small size)
1 tablespoon butter
Oil for frying
1. Heat a pan and add the rice flour. Roast the flour for 2 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
2. Melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and filter impurities if any. Heat the jaggery mixture in a pan. Add the coconut bits. Switch off in the first boil.
3. Add this mixture to the rice mixture. Add the Urad Flour,butter and sesame seeds and make a smooth dough. Grease your hands when you make the dough. Shape them into small balls .
4. Heat Oil in the wok and do the 'drop test' to check the right temperature. Then drop the Vella seedai balls and fry in batches of 7 or 8 till they are done completely.
The 'Vella Seedai' will resemble Jamuns. That is the right colour you are looking for.
Vella Seedai can be stored in an airtight container and it keeps for atleast two weeks!!
Chef Tips :
1. If the dough balls melt when you drop them for frying, do not panic. Add little wheat flour to the dough. Mix well and shape the balls again.
2. Fry in low flame.
3.You can add the rice flour to the jaggery mixture and cook till it becomes like a non sticky dough. when it cools, add the urad flour. This is another method of making the dough.
Happy Festival to you all!
This recipe is a part of the 'Bakshanam Series' , an effort to bring to you our famous Heirloom Snack recipes.