'Payasam' /Kheer is prepared during all special occasions and festivals in India. It is actually quick and easy dessert that does not require too much effort. Puri ( fried puffed flatbread) is soaked in flavoured semolina( rava) kheer and served hot or cold. Turmeric is added to the puri dough as it was considered 'auspicious'. These puris ( fried puffed flatbread) are soaked in flavoured semolina( rava) kheer and served hot or cold.
A tasty speciality payasam that you can serve your family and friends in style.
Chettinad Puri Payasam :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml
Storage : keeps good for 2-3 days when refrigerated
For the puri/poori :
1 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
pinch of turmeric
Ghee/clarified butter for frying OR oil
For the Kheer :
1 tablespoon sooji/semolina
500 ml milk + extra if required
1/2 cup sugar ( adjust according to sweetness preferred)
5-6 strands of saffron ( powder the saffron with pestle and mortar, soak in 1 tablespoon warm milk)
Pinch of fresh cardamom powder
Pistachios ( soak them in warm water for 10 minutes, peel , grate length wise )
1. In a bowl, add the wheat flour, salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
2. Add water little by little and make a pliable dough.
3. Pinch small portions of the dough and roll out small circles using the rolling pin.
Tip: I greased the work place and rolling pin with little oil before rolling.
4. Heat ghee in a small kadai/wok or pan .
5. Fry the pooris and drain and set them aside.
Tip: Use an Iron Wok/Kadai to fry pooris for rich colour and great taste.
6. Heat a pan with milk , add sugar, saffron milk and let the milk boil over low flame .
Tip: Use a wide pan to boil milk.
7. Add the sooji to the milk and keep cooking in low flame .
Tip: Keep stirring the milk. The thicker the milk becomes, the tastier the kheer.
8. Switch off and add the pooris to the payasam.
9. Garnish and serve warm or keep it refrigerated and serve cold .
Tip: You can also roast cashews and raisins in 1/2 tablespoon ghee and garnish the payasam.
Your delicious traditional 'Chettinad Puri payasam' is ready to be served.
You can try other festival recipes here.