'Hakka Noodles' is a very popular Indo- Chinese dish. It is extremely popular with my kids too. As Indo -Chinese dishes are more intuitively cooked by different chefs , there is no strict recipe that is followed to make these noodles. You can play around with your choice of vegetables and spices. Today, I am sharing a tasty and spicy 'Hakka Noodle ' recipe that can make your lunch or dinner special.
Hakka Noodles :
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
150 gms noodles
3 tablespoon oil + 1 teaspoon for greasing the noodles
1 teaspoon vinegar
5-6 garlic pods ( finely chopped, divided)
4 dry red chillies ( cut into smaller pieces)
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 cups choice of thinly sliced vegetables ( I used capsicum, carrot, spring onion,onion)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper ( optional)
salt to taste
Spring onion greens ( chopped finely)
Note : You can use cabbage, but I have avoided to suit our family palate.
1. In a large pan/vessel , boil water with little salt .
2.Add noodles to boiling water and cook for just 2-3 minutes .
3. Drain them and immediately pour cold or regular water to stop their cooking.
4. Spread the noodles in a wide plate and drizzle a teaspoon of oil on the noodles and set it aside.
5. Heat a wide pan with 2 tablespoons of oil and switch off the gas.
6. Add chopped garlic ( half of the chopped portion), dry red chilli (bits) and chilli flakes.
7. Stir and switch on the gas again.
8. Add the noodles and soya sauce, mix well over medium flame.
9. Let the noodles fry for 2-3 minutes . Adjust salt. Switch off and transfer the noodles to a another container.
10. Now place the pan back on the stove and heat one tablespoon oil.
11. Add the remaining chopped garlic, onions and cook over low flame for a few seconds.
12. Add the cut vegetables and stir fry till the vegetables are cooked but still crunchy.
Tip: Add capsicum at the end as they hardly take time to cook and will also look fresh.
13. Add the vinegar, salt and white pepper and mix well.
14. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the fried noodles, cook them over high flame for few seconds and switch off.
15. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
I served the noodles along with Cottage Cheese in Hot Garlic Sauce . Delicious!
1. The vegetables can be shredded finely so that they cook faster.
2. Saute' vegetables in the order of their tenderness.
3. Adjust spices according to your taste preference.
4. You can add more soy sauce if you like the flavour.
5. You can adjust the quantity of oil used according to your diet restrictions.
Happy Chinese New Year to all celebrating !