'Donuts' need no introduction and so is our very own 'Medhu vadai'. Both are extremely popular and tasty recipes across all ages and countries. 'Donuts ' are made using yeast and maida/all purpose flour , both not highly recommended for a healthy diet. Of course, special occasions can be 'cheat days', but isn't it even better if we can give a little twist with indigenous ingredients. As the name suggests, this recipe is inspired by the taste of Donuts and Vada.
Instead of adding food colours and artificial flavours, I have added fresh strawberries . Husked Black Gram /Urad Dal is high in protein and is an easily available ingredient that is used in everyday Indian Cooking. I have not used any rising agent or soda for this recipe and yet you get soft, light and amazingly puffed up Donuts that are crisp on the outside and soft inside. I have added sugar to the batter, but adding jaggery is also a healthier option.
I am always thrilled to share my new fusion recipes. Today, the happiness is double as I am happy to share that my little blog space has crossed One Lakh readers within such a short period of time. This could not have been possible without all your support, motivation by trying out my recipes . Thank you so much !! I am so glad to connect with you all through my blog. Each and every one of you mean a lot to me. Before I get more emotional, let us move on to the recipe..
Donut Vada with Strawberries :
Preparation time : 3 hours
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Yield : 25 -30 medium size Donut Vadas
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special vessel : Iron Wok /Karahi ( to get the best texture, colour and taste)
1 cup husked black gram/ urad dal
2 green cardamom (freshly powdered using mortar and pestle)
1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon ( adjust according to your taste preference)
pinch of salt
oil for frying
1. Wash the urad dal four to five times and soak in water for 3-4 hours.
2. Drain water completely and grind along with washed and chopped strawberries.
Tip: I used a mixer to grind the batter. Do not add water.
3. Beat the batter in a circular motion to air the batter for atleast 5 minutes continuously.
4. Add sugar, cardamom,salt and beat again.
5. Heat oil in a wok and when the oil reaches the right temperature, drop the batter using a spoon or shape them like donuts and drop them carefully in oil.
Tip : You can refer here for detailed tips and tricks to shape Vada/Donut in hand.
6. Fry them on all sides uniformly and drain them in a tissue.
How to serve the Donut Vada:
1. You can drizzle chocolate sauce on top of the Donut Vada and serve .
2. You can drizzle some chocolate sauce on the serving plate, place the Donut Vada and sprinkle icing sugar or cinnamon sugar and serve.
3. You can also prepare a sugar glaze and pour it on top of the Donut Vada if you like your donuts sweeter.
However you serve, it tastes great.
Happy Cooking !