' Turmeric' is not only a power food but also a healing root used in ayurvedic medicines. We are really fortunate that turmeric is a part and parcel of Indian Cooking. Turmeric is also considered as a beauty product and is believed to give natural glow to the skin.
Today, I am sharing a simple, tasty pickle recipe using fresh turmeric. You can grow turmeric in your kitchen garden too. When you visit the vegetable market , do remember to pick up some fresh turmeric (when they are in season) and give this pickle a try! Before working with turmeric, do grease your hands with oil .
You can also try my Fresh Turmeric Relish Recipe.
South Indian Style Fresh Turmeric Pickle :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1 Cup = 250 ml Cup
Storage : 1 month, when refrigerated
1 Cup Fresh turmeric ( peeled and chopped )
2 tablespoons red chilli powder ( I used Kashmiri red chilli powder, adjust spice according to your spice preference)
1/4 teaspoon methi powder/fenugreek powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 cup sesame oil
salt to taste
1. Pressure Cook the chopped fresh turmeric for 3 whistles.
Note: Use an inner vessel to boil the turmeric. Close the vessel and pressure cook. You can also use a vegetable steaming steel basket ( refer pic) .
2. Once the steam is released, remove them from the cooker and keep aside.
3. In a pan/wok, heat oil and temper with mustard seeds.
4. When they splutter, add the turmeric, chilli powder, methi powder, salt and mix well over low flame.
5. Cook till the turmeric completely blends with the spices and the oil separates on the sides. This step will take 5 to 7 minutes only. Switch off.
6. Once cool, transfer the pickle into a pickle jar/ bottle/vessel and refrigerate .
7. The turmeric will start softening and ready to be consumed in 2 to 3 days.
Note: The turmeric needs to be immersed in oil. If it is not , then do give it a stir atleast once a day for longer shelf life.
Your Fresh Turmeric Pickle is ready to be enjoyed along with parathas or rice.