Today I am going to share a delicious, simple and flavourful side dish that I have enjoyed during our road trips in North India. Though the side dish will taste great when cooked with ghee or butter, I have given a low calorie version of the same.
'Cauliflower' or 'Gobi' as it is known in Hindi, is a favourite winter time vegetable in North India. It is stuffed inside a delicious parantha or cooked along with vegetables like potatoes(aloo), peas(matar) to be served as an interesting side dish. Now a days, Gobi is available through out the year, there by allowing us to consume this wonderful vegetable any time. In South India, 'Gobi' is more loved as a crunchy snack. The cauliflower ( Gobi) is full of nutrients, vitamins and fibre. In this recipe, " Amritsari Gobi Matar', the cauliflower and peas are cooked together in a spicy tomato cream base. This dish is healthy and is completely vegan and gluten free.
Amritsari Gobi Matar ( Punjabi Style Creamy Cauliflower and Peas Curry):
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20-25 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 medium size cauliflower ( cut into florets)
1/2 cup peas
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds powder/dhania powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
For the gravy:
To be processed in a mixie/mixer/food processor:
2 green chillies
4 garlic pods
1/2 " ginger piece
For the cream :
20 almonds (soak in warm water for 15 minutes and peel the skin)
15 cashew nuts
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
For garnish :
finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Grind the ingredients given under'to be processed' into a puree'.
2. Grind the soaked and peeled almonds and cashews into a cream by adding 1/4 cup of water
( adjust)while grinding.
3. Heat a pan/wok with oil and temper with cumin seeds.
4. Add the puree' , turmeric powder, chilli powder, dhania powder, salt and cook over low flame for 5-7 minutes.
5. Now add the cauliflower, peas and mix well.
6. Add 1/2 cup water ( adjust) and cook them covered till the cauliflower is just done and soft but not mushy.
7. Add the garam masala powder and stir in the almond- cashew cream and let it come to a boil.
8. Switch off and garnish with cilantro leaves.
1. You can adjust the consistency of this gravy dish depending upon your taste. Adjust water accordingly.
2. Do not steam cook the cauliflower as the taste will change . Cook the peas and the cauliflower in the ground gravy.
3. The entire dish need to be cooked over low flame.
Happy Cooking !