Radish is called ' Mullangi' in Tamil Language. A juicy root vegetable , the radish is filled with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It is high in fibre and is most beneficial for weight loss. Radish is very effective in relieving one from constipation , respiratory disorders , piles and blood pressure. Radish oil, leaves and seeds are used even many medicinal preparations too.
It is wise to include this vegetable in our daily diet. This recipe "Mullangi Curry' is a simple South Indian Style Stir fry that can be prepared with just a handful of ingredients. The radish is tempered with Indian spices and is cooked over the stove top. Jeera/Cumin seeds , turmeric powder and curry leaves give the dish it's authentic southern colour and flavour.
Mullangi Curry ( South Indian Style Raddish Stir Fry ):
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Wide pan or kadahi/kadai
Note : Finely chop the raddish for faster cooking and also taste. You can also use sambar powder to spice up the curry.
2 medium size radish ( washed, peeled and chopped)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chilli powder ( adjust according to taste)
1 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon channa dal/bengal gram
1 teaspoon urad dal /husked black gram
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
For Garnish ( optional ):
2 teaspoons fresh coconut ( grated)
1. Heat a pan with oil over low flame.
2. Temper with the ingredients given under 'to temper' in the order given.
3. Once tempered, add the radish and stir to mix.
4. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder , coriander powder and salt.
5. Mix well , add half cup of water and cook covered till the radish cooks and becomes soft.
6. Keep stirring occasionally for uniform cooking.
7. Once the radish is soft, open the lid and cook on high, stirring continuously for 30-40 seconds and switch off.
Your South Indian Style Mullangi Curry is ready to be served as a side dish to rice or rotis.
Happy Cooking !