'Chutneys' are easy to make, interesting side dishes for our tiffin ( breakfast meal). It is also a healthy way to include fruits, vegetables and nuts in our diet. Today's recipe is the popular peanut chutney that can be served along with Idli/Dosa or Upma. Handful of ingredients and less than 15 minutes our side dish/chutney is ready. Peanuts are rich in fiber, minerals and anti oxidants. A handful of nuts a day can even reduce the risk of so many diseases and keeps you hearty and healthy.
I make lots of chutneys for our breakfast and variety is the key . So will be sharing all the recipes soon. Till then, do give this peanut chutney a try this weekend.
Peanut Chutney | Peanut Chutney for South Indian Tiffin :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 7-8 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1/2 cup peanuts ( raw)
3-4 dry red chillies ( to be roast) OR 2-3 green chillies ( no roasting required)
1/4 cup fresh coconut ( chopped)
water ( adjust)
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
For garnish :
finely chopped cilantro ( optional)
1. In a small pan add 1/2 teaspoon oil and roast the peanuts till they start cracking and lightly browned.
2. Cool and grind them along with coconut and green chillies adding water little by little.
3. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
4. Heat oil for tempering and temper the chutney with the ingredients given for tempering.
5. Add salt and mix well.
6. Garnish if you have fresh cilantro leaves.
Your delicious and healthy peanut chutney is ready in minutes. Serve it along with your tiffin. I served it with masala dosai and strong Kumbakonam Degree Coffee.
Here are some more chutney recipes.