Next time when you buy radish, do not throw away the greens. Do you know that the radish greens has more fibre, vitamins and nutrients than the radish itself ? Yes, Radish greens is filled with so many anti oxidant properties and is also used as a medication for jaundice and rheumatism. Radish greens are edible, tasty and is not bitter at all. In this South Indian Style stir fry ( poriyal), the greens are cooked along with lentils and spices. Do include radish greens in your everyday diet to enjoy all the health benefits.
Radish Greens Poriyal ( South Indian Style Radish Greens Stir Fry ) :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 12-15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
10 -12 shallots/sambar onions ( roughly chopped)
1 tomato ( finely chopped)
1 cup radish greens ( finely chopped)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
For the ground spice :
1/4 cup pigeon peas/tuvar dal ( soak in warm water for 10 minutes)
2 teaspoon coconut ( fresh, grated)
1 dry red chilli ( I used guntur chilli, adjust to taste)
For tempering :
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds /jeera
1/2" ginger ( grated)
pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
Method to clean and chop Radish greens :
Chef Tips :
1. While cleaning the radish leaves, care should be taken to remove the thick stem and the midrib of the leaves .
1. Grind the ingredients given under ' For the ground spice' coarsely without adding water.
2. Heat a medium size pan /wok with oil and temper with ingredients given under 'tempering'.
3. Once tempered, add the chopped shallots, tomato, turmeric powder, salt and keep stirring over low flame till the tomatoes become mushy and the shallots, light brown.
4. Now add the ground spice powder and sprinkle a tablespoon of water.
5. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes over low flame.
6. Now add the radish greens , mix well and allow it to cook for another 5 minutes.
Your healthy and delicious radish greens poriyal is ready. Serve it along with rice or rotis.
Happy Cooking !